Considered as one of the most in demand and popular pasalubong treats in the Philippines particularly in some parts of Southern Luzon, buko pie is a baked specialty that utilizes young coconut meat or buko.
This product is commonly sold in pasalubong stores along with other sweet delicacies like kutsinta, puto, ube halaya, yema and espasol. The Los Baños-based The Original Buko Pie is regarded as the best buko pie in the country, according to food critics but many brands have managed to thrive in the industry due to the product’s popularity .
For the filling
- 1 cup of grated young coconut meat
- 1 cup of buko juice
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
For the crust
- beaten egg white
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup of shortening
- 6 tablespoons of cold water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Place young coconut meat, buko juice, sugar, cornstarch, evaporated milk and vanilla in a sauce pan. Cook the mixture over low heat. Continue mixing until you achieve a creamy consistency. Set the mixture aside and allow to cool down.
- To make the crust, put the flour into a bowl then add margarine and water. Mix thoroughly to form dough that should assume the shape of a ball. Divide it into two sizes, one bigger than the other. The bigger dough should serve as the base of pie while the smaller dough will be used as covering on top.
- Place the bigger dough in between two floured wax paper sheets. Flatten then invert into pie plate. Make sure the crust would cover the pie plate sides. Place it in the oven and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Once the crust is done, pour the filling over it then spread evenly.
- Roll out the smaller dough in between floured wax paper sheets. Invert on top of the pie.
- Crop the sides of the pie to achieve ideal shape. Press down the edges in order to seal the pie.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg to achieve a glossy finish.
- Bake the buko pie once more at 350°F for 10 minutes or until the top crusts becomes golden brown.
- How to Be a Reseller of Professional Skin Care Formula (PSCF) by Dr. Alvin - September 21, 2017
- SUCCESS STORY OF EHJE’S PEANUT BUTTER: Instinct Pushes Pinay Entrepreneur to Turn Peanuts to Riches - September 20, 2017
- 10-Year-Old Boy Sells Cottage Cheese to Support His Family - September 18, 2017