Long before milk teas and pearl shakes, Pinoy kids were craving for mouth-watering ice scramble. Although ice scramble is a food that would remind us of our childhood, it’s a snack that would certainly satisfy children of all ages.
Made of shaved ice mixed with evaporated milk, banana extract, sugar and oftentimes food color, ice scramble is a street food that became popular in Manila in the 1970s. Often sold in the streets and school canteens, ice scramble is now available even in shopping malls.
Originally, ice scramble came in pink color and didn’t have any toppings. But as years passed, people became more creative and added ingredients that made ice scramble more sumptuous and delicious. These days, ice scramble vendors often top it with powdered milk, chocolate or strawberry syrup, mini marshmallows, rice crispies and candy sprinkles.
Just like halo-halo, sorbetes and ice candy, ice scramble is a perfect summer snack that you can make and sell at the comfort of your home. You may need to buy kitchen equipment like ice crusher and blender to make the preparation faster and easier.
Here’s a simple recipe you can use for your ice scramble business.
- 3 to 4 cups of shaved ice
- 1 to 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 to 2 tsp banana extract
- 6 to 8 drops of red food color
Toppings: powdered milk, chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, mini marshmallows, rice crispies or candy sprinkles
- In a bowl, mix evaporated milk, extracts and sugar thoroughly.
- Add shaved ice. Mix thoroughly using a blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour resulting mixture into cups.
- Add your preferred toppings.
- Serve immediately with a straw or spoon.
If you wish to serve a healthy version of ice scramble, you may revamp your ice scramble by simply adding healthy ingredients like fruits. To make buko scramble, just add coconut meat, coconut milk and coconut juice to your base ice scramble and place it inside the coconut shell. If you wish to create melon scramble, just add blended melon and pinipig.
- How to Be a Reseller of Professional Skin Care Formula (PSCF) by Dr. Alvin - September 21, 2017
- SUCCESS STORY OF EHJE’S PEANUT BUTTER: Instinct Pushes Pinay Entrepreneur to Turn Peanuts to Riches - September 20, 2017
- 10-Year-Old Boy Sells Cottage Cheese to Support His Family - September 18, 2017