How to Apply for CHED’s Financial Assistance for Students

If you are looking for a scholarship to support your college education, you can apply for one offered by the Commission of Higher Education’s (CHED) Student Financial Assistance Program. However, you must hurry up as the deadline for application is on April 30, 2019.

The CHED offers three types of financial assistance—scholarships, grants-in-aid, and a loan program.

Under the scholarship program, they have the full and partial State Scholarship Program (SSP) and the Private Education Student Financial Assistance (PESFA). ‘Tulong Dunong’ is a grant-in-aid while the Study Now, Pay Later Plan is a loan program.

student financial assistance

To qualify for any of the financial assistance program, a student applicant;

  • must be a Filipino citizen;
  • must be a high school graduate, a candidate for graduation; with earned units in college, or a passer of Alternative Learning System (ALS) or Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT);
  • must have a combined annual gross income of parent/guardian not exceeding P300,000;
  • must only avail of only on CHED scholarship or financial assistance program; and
  • must not be a graduate of any degree program.

Applicants for a full scholarship under the SSP must have a general weighted average (GWA) of at least 90 percent or its equivalent. Meanwhile, applicants for partial SSP and PESFA must have a GWA of at least 85 percent or its equivalent.

‘Tulong-Dunong’ is a grant-in-aid for high school graduates and students with earned units in college whose weighted average is at least a passing grade and for passers of the ALS and PEPT.

Lastly, the Study Now, Pay Later plan provides financial assistance to deserving students enrolled or will enroll in any curriculum year level in identified priority courses in any duly authorized private higher education institutions.

student financial assistance


Student-applicants must submit a properly accomplished CHED StuFAP’s Application Form 1 directly to the concerned CHED Regional Office. On the other hand, applicants who intend to enroll in a state university or college may directly submit their application form to the concerned school, based on the StuFAP’s Calendar of Activities.

Applicants are also required to submit a copy of their Form 138; Certificate of Grades; Accreditation and Equivalency Test Passer certificate; or Certificate of Advancing to the Next Level, whichever is applicable.

They will also be required to submit a Certificate of good moral character from the last school attended and any of the following:

  • Latest Income Tax Return (ITR) of parents or guardian;
  • Certificate of Tax Exemption from the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
  • Certificate of Indigency from their Barangay;
  • Case Study from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD); or
  • Affidavit of No Income.

For children of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) and seafarers, the latest copy of contract or proof of income may be considered.

For more details, please visit CHED’s website at or send them an e-mail at [email protected]

Leave a Comment

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.